Thursday 29 May 2014

Pathways Project - Journey 2

I stupidly Handed In My Sketchbook Before I took Photo's Of The Pages Themselves
 
Sorry.
 
However I will add onto this post, a few examples of my drawings scanned onto my computer; some edited, some normal; to show examples on how I went about making some of my illustrations.

First Sight

I decided to try colouring a couple of my drawings on Photoshop, partly because I wanted to duplicate the same figures three times, just to change the expressions on their faces (Saved me re-drawing the figures three times).



 I like the results, however I decided that colouring the drawings on Photoshop took too long and decided to continue colouring my drawings with water colours (with the exception of Photo-shopping patterns into certain pieces of clothing: Pink dress above).
 

 
"And I'll never forget, when we first were courting,
And she faced me, and her eyes were gleaming..."

 
 For Both Man and Woman:
 
Expressions: 1. Notice each other
2. embarrassed to be caught
3. but happy it finally happened anyway.
 
Collage
 
Combining real photographs to my drawings on Photoshop; I wanted certain objects (e.g. Typewriters, mechanical objects) to look realistic to help convey the "Victorian steampunk" theme that comes with the song. However I felt that if I wanted to make realistic drawings/paintings of mechanical objects, just the process of painting them perfectly would take up too much of my time and I wanted to make every page as good as I can (and of course I still had to make the book itself). So I decided to instead just Photoshop the real photos into the pages instead.
 
I found all the photos I used throughout this project on Google Images.
 
 
 
I actually Like the result much more than I thought I would; I was afraid that the photos would look out of place in my paintings, but I think it actually does help to convey a realistic Victorian (near steampunk) theme.
 
Below: More examples on using Collage.
 
 
 
 
 
Patterned Cut-Outs
 
Before I began make my Official illustrations, I decided to do a little experiment on making images out of cut out bits of paper (In this case, patterned paper I bought from "The Works"). I loved the results; I felt as though I was making/designing real Victorian dresses thanks to the patterns. despite this, the process was too time consuming for the project; I planned on making  over 3 pages in my book and I had to make the characters in different costumes and in different positions: If I had more time on the project I would have definitely continued, but sadly I had to put aside the cut-out designs for this project.
 
 
But!
 
I loved the dresses I made and the patterns so much, I decided to adapted my cut-out idea; When it came to painting my figures I would leave parts of the clothes blank so I could Photoshop the patterns in their place; so in a way, I got to keep my original plan.

 


 
 These are some of my Favourite drawings out of the whole project.


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment