Thursday 29 May 2014

Pathways Project - Journey 3

The Book!
Final Piece For: 27/05/2014
For the book itself, I decided to style it after a journal; going with the idea of it being a "Doctor's" work journal. Throughout the song The Doctor's typing up his findings/research/experiments on how he goes about trying to save his wife, which is why I felt that this type of book would fit the theme; He telling the story and its his journal.
 
Its quite simple and only size A5,which I chose because I felt that it was a realistic size for an old doctor's journal and also because I thought it looked neat and gave the feel of a real published book to whoever's reading it.

 
I hand-sewed every part together myself:
 
  • I measured leather to be the same height as the page sizes, and to be wider than half the width of the pages on each side (see below)
  • I sewed the pages together and then sewed them onto the leather (around the middle)
  • When I printed to pages, rather than printing them back to back, I printed them all one sided and stuck them together back to back instead; because I felt that the book could do with a bit of extra bulk and this would help.
  • I sewed straps onto the right hand side of the leather and sewed buttons onto the other side.
  • For the buttons I decided to go with a pair of old fashioned, gold (looking), patterned ones; because I felt that they would continue to convey the Victorian theme but also I thought it would help to make the book a bit more eye-catching/fancy.



No comments:

Post a Comment